Here are 3 simple steps to begin your journey of getting to know God and who He is for real.
1. Acknowledge Him, who He is and what He did for you.
2. Confess that you’ve been separated from Him and that you want that to change.
3. Believe in your heart that He’s there for you and invite Him to be your friend.
You can pray a simple prayer like this:
Dear Lord Jesus, I believe that you are the Son of God. I believe that you died for me and that you rose again and that you are alive right now. Please come into my heart, forgive me of my sins and change my life. In Jesus name, amen.
The next step in getting to know Him is to spend time with Him. Think of it this way…how did you get to know your best friend? How often did you talk with them? How often did you spend time with them? Most people can’t wait to hang out with a best friend and it doesn’t even matter what you do when you’re together.
How do you spend time with God? Here are a few ideas…
1. Read the Bible. This is a great way to get to know Him! It’s like having a living, breathing “how-to” book right at your fingertips. It explains, WHO He is, WHY He is, WHAT he desires us to do and HOW He desires us to do it! This is not just a book of religious rules and regulations. It’s filled with love letters to you from your Creator! Not sure where to start? Try starting in the book of John located in the New Testament. Not sure where to find the book of John? Check the table of contents in the front of your Bible, all the books of the Bible and their location is listed in the Table of Contents.
2. Go to church. Listening to Biblically based teachings and hanging out with people who are getting to know God is a great way to get to know Him, too. Remember that the people that you meet in church are on the same journey as you. Some people are further along in the journey and some are in the exact same place that you are. We are all just learning to know God more.
Want to see service times and directions at FCC? Click here.
Want to watch a service or join us for one of our live webcasts? Click here.
Want to connect with someone who can help you on your journey? Click here.
3. Pray. Prayer is just conversation with God. Really. You can talk to Him just like you would talk to a friend. Take some time and talk to Him and then take some time to listen. Listening is just as much a part of prayer as talking. You’ll be amazed at how much He has to say to you.